Usually, when I do the anniversary year quizzes at the beginning of the year, I include some notable birthdates during that year. But when I started researching 1961, I was struck by the amazing number of musician birthdays that year. All of the following will be turning 50 years old in 2011.
1. Born Vincent Wharton on February 8, 1961, he'd later use his middle name as his last name as lead singer of Motley Crue.
2. This guitarist played with Duran Duran and the Power Station, and he was born on February 16, 1961.
3. No fooling, this Scottish singer who became popular as a result of Britain's Got Talent was born on April 1, 1961.
4. Keren Woodward was born on April 2, 1961, and Sarah Dallin was born on December 17, 1961. What group did they sing with?
5. She was born Eithne Patricia Ní Bhraonáin in County Donegal, Ireland, on May 16, 1961, and became one of the most successful New Age singers. By what name do we know her?
6. Born on May 26, 1961, this rock singer/guitarist recorded such songs as "Come To My Window" and "I'm The Only One," and also survived breast cancer.
7. Famous for his clothes and makeup, his drug problems, and his great voice on "Do You Really Want To Hurt Me" and other songs, he was born on June 14, 1961.
8. This high-voiced singer wasn't a "Smalltown Boy" when he was born on June 22, 1961; he was from Glasgow, Scotland.
9. Curt Smith was born on June 24, 1961; Roland Orzabal was born on August 22, 1961. What '80s band would they both become part of?
10. This Van Halen III singer's parents were Extremely happy when he was born on July 26, 1961.
11. Dave Evans was born on August 8, 1961 in England; Larry Mullen, Jr. was born on October 31, 1961 in Ireland. What band would they both join later?
12. Don't tell his heart, his achy-breaky heart, that he was born on August 25, 1961 and is turning 50 this year.
13. A one-time member of Metallica who went on to found Megadeth, he had his mega birth on September 13, 1961.
14. The second son in his family, born October 18, 1961 in New Orleans, he's won Grammy Awards playing classical and jazz trumpet.
15. The youngest boy in the Jackson family, he was born on October 29, 1961, in Gary, Indiana.
16. this unusual canadian country singer was born on november 2, 1961.
17. This 70s teen idol, famous for singing, acting, and an infamous Behind the Music episode, was born on November 8, 1961.
Bonus: Many people mistake this Black Flag poet/singer, born on February 13, 1961 for the son of KC of the Sunshine Band; but that's impossible, because they were only born 10 years apart. Who is he?