December 16 is Beethoven's birthday, so in honor of that, enjoy this quiz about classical music influences in rock and pop.
1. "Roll Over Beethoven and tell" who "the news?"
2. What British band included violins and cellos as part of the regular instrumentation?
3. Eric Carmen's "All By Myself" and "Never Gonna Fall in Love Again" both borrow themes from what Russian composer?
4. What pop singer recorded "My Secret Passion: The Arias," an album of operatic melodies, in 1998?
5. What was Walter Murphy and the Big Apple Band's only Number 1 hit?
6."1985, Austrian rock singer Falco records" what?
7. Sebastian Bach was the lead singer of what metal band?
8. This 1965 hit by the Toys borrowed its melody from Bach.
9. Whose classical compositions include "Liverpool Oratorio" and "Standing Stone?"
10. A prominent Dutch-American guitarist named his son Wolfgang, after Mozart. What is Wolfgang's last name?
11. Bach's "Bourree" for flute was recorded by what band?
12. What band's third album was a rock version of Mussorgsky's "Pictures At An Exhibition?"
13. Speaking of Mussorgsky, which Saturday Night Fever song borrowed from his "Night on Bald Mountain?"
14. Who conducted the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, of "Hooked On Classics" fame?
15. What Beatles song is supposedly based on Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata" played backwards?
16. What was the name of Apollo 100's 1972 instrumental, which they based on Bach's "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring?"
17. What piano-playing superstar just released an album of his own classical compositions - played by another pianist?
Bonus: When Luciano Pavarotti cancelled out the 1998 Grammy Awards at the last minute, who stepped in at the last minute to perform "Nessun Dorma" ?