Usually, when I do the anniversary year quizzes at the beginning of the year, I include some notable birthdates during that year. But when I started researching 1958, I was struck by the amazing number of musician birthdays that year, including four of the biggest stars of the 80s. All of the following will be turning 50 years old in 2008.
1. This pioneer rapper was born Joseph Saddler on January 1; he'd meet up with the Furious Five in the late 70s.
2. On February 16, another future rapper was born with the name Tracy Marrow. He would take his stage name from author Iceberg Slim.
3. Born on February 21, her country hits include "He Thinks He'll Keep Her" and "Shut Up and Kiss Me."
4. The fourth of four boys born into a singing family on March 5, his Number One hits included "I Just Want To Be Your Everything" and "Shadow Dancing."
5. He wasn't born "in cars" on March 8.
6. Stuart Adamson, born on April 11, led this Scottish band known for making its guitars sound like bagpipes.
7. This producer, arranger, composer, performer, singer, guitarist, bassist, keyboardist, drummer, percussionist, actor, and mentor was born to the Nelson family of Minneapolis on June 7.
8. Born on June 17, Eric Reed Boucher, future leader of the Dead Kennedys, performed under this name.
9. Her first big hit was an adaptation of "Wuthering Heights" and she was born on July 30.
10. Mr. and Mrs. Ciccone named this future superstar after her mother when she was born on August 16.
11. On the very next day, August 17, the lead singer of the Go-Go's was born.
12.When Michael Jackson was born on August 29, how many older brothers and sisters did he already have?
13. In what city was Ministry frontman Al Jourgensen born, on October 9?
14. On the very next day, October 10, this country singer who had her first hit at the age of 13 with "Delta Dawn" was born.
15. Born on October 14, this singer blinded us all with science in 1983.
16. Simon LeBon Was born on October 27; of what band was he lead singer?
17. He was born Frank Ferrana on December 11, but he used this name as a member of Motley Crue.
Bonus: What two members of R.E.M. were born in 1958?