In 1972, Mark Spitz won seven gold medals at the Olympics, the first women ran in the Boston Marathon, the Watergate burglaries happened, the "Girl in the Picture" photo was taken in Vietnam, M*A*S*H debuted on television, George McGovern won Massachusetts, Pong was invented, Ben Affleck and Shaquille O'Neal were born, M.C. Escher and J. Edgar Hoover died, and I was asked by my first-grade teachers to dance on stage at a "rock concert" at my elementary school.
1. This California country-rock group released their first, self-titled album in June 1972.
2. "No more pencils, no more books, no more teacher's dirty looks" was quoted in what 1972 Alice Cooper hit?
3. This legend of gospel music, who sang at Martin Luther King, Jr.'s funeral, died on January 27, 1972.
4. "William's Doll," "Ladies First" and "It's All Right To Cry" were included on this feminist children's album released in late 1972.
5. What Elton John hit, released in late 1972, was a throwback to the styles of the 50s?
6. Robert John (not Elton) had a hit in 1972 with a re-make of an African folk song that had been an earlier hit for the Tokens - what was the song?
7. Billie Joe Armstrong and Mike Dirnt, both born in 1972, later teamed up in what band?
8. She was strong, she was invincible, and she had a big hit with "I Am Woman."
9.What is the translation of the "Italian song" words in Chicago's "Saturday in the Park," released in 1972?
10. What Moody Blues song, recorded in 1967 and featuring a weird spoken-word part, was re-released in 1972 and became a Number Two hit?
11. This music-related theme park opened in Nashville, Tennessee, in 1972.
12. What ELO album, released in 1972, was mistitled in the U.S. due to a misunderstood telephone message left for a label executive asking about the name?
13. He released "Music Of My Mind" in March 1972.
14. What magazine was mentioned in the lyrics of "Me and Julio Down By The Schoolyard" by Paul Simon?
15. Apollo 100's instrumental hit "Joy" was based on the music of what classical composer?
16. Rod Stewart's "You Wear It Well" would later be used by what fashion designer in commercials?
17. This president, who died on December 26, 1972, was later mentioned in the lyrics of songs by Billy Joel and Chicago.
Bonus: Why did Temptations singer Dennis Edwards dislike the opening lines of "Papa Was A Rolling Stone:" "It was the 3rd of September/That day I'll always remember/'cause that was the day/that my daddy died" ?