45 years ago, in 1962, John Glenn became the first American to orbit the earth, the Cuban Missile Crisis took place, Tom Cruise and Jeff Probst were born, Marilyn Monroe and William Faulkner died, Pope John XXIII convened Vatican II, and my parents graduated from college and got married.
1. This "royal" song was a Number One hit for Gene Chandler in February and March 1962.
2. What singer, dancer, choreographer, and American Idol judge was born on June 19, 1962?
3. Tony Bennett released his signature song in 1962 - what is it?
4. Michael Balzary, Chad Smith, and Anthony Kiedis were born within days of each other in 1962 and would grow up to play in the same band - which one?
5. "Green Onions" was the first album and single released by what group of Memphis session musicians in 1962?
6. He began "Livin' on a Prayer" on March 2, 1962, in Perth Amboy, New Jersey.
7. This song was lucky for Elvis when it hit Number One for two weeks in April 1962.
8. When this Austrian-American violinist and composer died on January 29, 1962, they presumably also mourned him in Ann Arbor.
9. Who did the Beatles hire in August 1962?
10. The soundtrack to this Leonard Bernstein musical was a best-seller in 1962, reaching Number One on the album charts.
11. What album, released in May 1962, included such songs as "Blowin' in the Wind," "Masters of War" and "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright" ?
12. William Bruce Rose and Jeffrey Isbell, both born in 1962, would grow up to become bandmates in one of the biggest rock bands ever. By what names do we know them better?
13. This Mr. Acker Bilk instrumental was the first British hit to reach Number One in the U.S. in May 1962.
14. What was the title of the Beach Boys' debut album, released in October 1962?
15. Ray Charles had the Number One song for the entire month of June 1962 with his arrangement of what country song?
16. Everybody was doin' this brand new dance now, with Little Eva in 1962 - what was it?
17. "Breaking Up Is Hard To Do" was a hit in 1962, and again in 1976, for the same artist - who?
Bonus: When this young man died in Hamburg, Germany on April 10, 1962, nobody noticed except maybe his ex-bandmates from Liverpool. Who was he?