This week, in honor of St. Patrick's Day 2001, here are 18 questions about Irish musicians, groups, and songs. Some of our subjects are from the Emerald Isle itself; some are of Irish ancestry. Hope you have your Lucky Charms!
Get ready, get on your mark, 1-2-3, let's start!
1. What was Thin Lizzy's only U.S. chart hit?
2. Dolores O'Riordan is lead singer of what band?
3. Who is U2's "Pride (In The Name of Love)" about?
4. What is the mistake in the lyrics of that song?
5. Name the Irish band who hit it big with "C'est La Vie" in 1998.
6. What English singer of part-Irish ancestry recorded "Give Ireland Back to the
7. Who was the first Irish-born artist inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of
8. Who is Declan Patrick McManus?
9. What American singer with a very Irish last name led his interracial band
to five Number 1 hits in the '70s?
10. Lee Loughnane is a founding member of Chicago. What instrument does he
11. Who wrote Sinead O'Connor's hit "Nothing Compares 2 U?"
12. Which member of Culture Club was of Irish ancestry?
13. Who was the guitarist for Survivor who co-wrote "Eye of the Tiger?"
14. What was Bob Geldof's band's name?
15. Though he had a Spanish last name, this late San Francisco guitarist was
part Irish on his mother's side. Who was he?
16. Name the Irish-themed 1983 song by Dexy's Midnight Runners
17. Which two members of U2 were actually born in Ireland?
18. Who played Paul's Grandfather in "A Hard Day's Night?"