We always do quizzes in January about the music of the 5 and 0 anniversary years, but last summer I decided to add a seasonal feature, about a few summers that rank high in my memory. This is the summer of 1974, most of which I spent riding my bike or trying to get my mom to take me to Lighthouse Beach in Evanston, Illinois.
1. This story-song about a Civil War soldier and his sweetheart was one of the biggest hits of Summer 1974.
2. What Beatles song did Anne Murray remake in the summer of 1974?
3. The Righteous Brothers had a comeback hit that summer that was a tribute to rock stars who had passed away - what was it?
4. He urged listeners to "Be Thankful For What You Got" in June 1974.
5. The semi-autobiographical "Hollywood Swinging" was a hit in June and July 1974 for what soul band?
6. Joni Mitchell had a rare Top Ten hit in the early summer of 1974 - what was it?
7. Paul Anka's rather disliked song "(You're) Having My Baby," a Number One hit in August 1974, was a duet with who?
8. This Elton John album was Number One for four weeks in July and August 1974.
9. Who taught us how to "Rock Your Baby" in July 1974?
10. The Jailer Man, Sailor Sam, the Undertaker, and the County Judge were characters in what Summer 1974 hit?
11. What fad-oriented hit by Ray Stevens was Number One on June 1, 1974, and stayed i nthe Top Ten for the rest of that month?
12. Abba came to prominence in the U.S. in August 1974 with what hit?
13. Who "better take care if I find you've been creeping 'round my back stair?"
14. "The Night Chicago Died" made Chicagoans shake their heads in August 1974 - but what song by Chicago was in the Top Ten at the same time?
15. She was still considered a country singer when her "If You Love Me (Let Me Know) hit the Top Ten in the summer of 1974.
16. What were the three locations Dave Loggins urged his girlfriend to "please come to?"
17. What Summer 1974 song begins "You fill up my senses, like a night in the forest?"
Bonus: What classical composer found his music in the Top Ten in May and June 1974?