It's surprising how many future superstars began their careers in 1961 - the Supremes, the Temptations, the Rolling Stones, Gladys Knight, and a few others mentioned in this quiz. Meanwhile, at the Cavern Club in Liverpool...
1. Motown recorded its first million selling single in 1961 with what Smokey Robinson and the Miracles song?
2. This future superstar had a big year in 1961 - he moved to New York City, made a name for himself in the Greenwich Village folk scene, got signed to a record contract, and recorded his first album. Who was he?
3. He sang about a "Town Without Pity" in 1961.
4. This Irish singer was born Eithne Ní Bhraonáin on May 17, 1961. By what name do we know her?
5. Who was "Tossin' and Turnin'" for seven weeks at the top of the charts in July and August 1961?
6. An Australian composer famous for his settings of English and Irish folk songs died on February 20, 1961. Who was he?
7. What group, consisting of three brothers, their cousin, and a school friend, was formed in Hawthorne, California in 1961?
8. He released his "All the Way" and "Come Swing with Me" albums in 1961.
9. Johnny Mercer and Henry Mancini wrote this now-standard for Audrey Hepburn to sing in "Breakfast at Tiffany's" released in 1961. What is it?
10. It's a "Boy," said Mr. and Mrs. O'Dowd, when this singer was born in England on June 14, 1961.
11. This Marvelettes song from 1961 would later be covered by the Beatles and the Carpenters.
12. This Elvis song, sung partly in German, was a hit, but it was Joe Dowell who took the song to Number One in August 1961.
13. Del Shannon wondered where she went in April and May of 1961.
14. Ray Charles' big hit of the year starts out with his backup singers telling him to do what?
15. An actor who died in 1961 was mentioned in the lyrics of Taco's version of "Puttin' on the Ritz" years later. Who was the actor?
16. Ernie K-Doe had a novelty hit about an irritating family member in May 1961 - what was it?
17. When he wasn't "Crying," he was "Running Scared" in 1961 - who was he?
Bonus: Three members of U2 were born in 1961. Which one was not - he was born in 1960?