This series of music trivia quizzes was inspired by the American Film Institute's 100 Years...100 Songs website. We now move into the music featured in movies from the 1990s. This quiz is presented in memory of Bella T. Manx.
1. Bruce Springsteen won an Oscar for his theme from what Tom Hanks-Denzel Washington movie?
2. What 70s rocker teamed up with Tim Rice to write the songs for "The Lion King?"
3. Dick Dale's "Misirlou" is the theme from this 1994 movie that brought John Travolta back to stardom.
4. Jim Carrey stops the show in "The Mask" by performing this song, first made famous by Desi Arnaz.
5. What Patrick Swayze-Demi Moore movie re-popularized "Unchained Melody" by the Righteous Brothers?
6. Madonna starred as Breathless Mahoney and sang several songs on the soundtrack of this 1990 adaptation of a comic strip.
7. Vanessa Williams had a hit with "Colors of the Wind" from which Disney film?
8. This theme song from "Titanic" didn't sink - it went right to Number One on the charts.
9. Quincy Jones' "Soul Bossa Nova" is used as the theme for what spy-spoof film series that began in 1997?
10. Which of the following Disney movies: "Pocahontas," "Tarzan," "Hunchback of Notre Dame," or "The Lion King" - did not include a song that won the Best Song Oscar?
11. This 1995 movie starred Richard Dreyfuss as a high school music teacher.
12. John Travolta's "Phenomenon" featured what hit from Eric Clapton?
13. What singer had a starring role as, well, a singer protected by Kevin Costner in "The Bodyguard?"
14. "Hillary and Jackie" told the story of British musician Jacqueline du Pre - what instrument did she play?
15. The plot of this 1993 Mike Myers sequel involved his character trying to stage a rock festival.
16. This 1997 Julia Roberts movie featured songs by Burt Bacharach and Hal David, including "I'll Never Fall In Love Again," "Do You Know The Way to San Jose" and "I Say A Little Prayer."
17. "Prince Ali," "Friend Like Me" and "A Whole New World" are featured on the soundtrack of this 1992 Disney animated favorite.
Bonus: This musician died soon after recording "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes" and Otis Redding's "Cigarettes and Coffee" for the soundtrack of the 1995 movie ``Smoke.'' Who was it?
Super Bonus: Of the four principal male musicians profiled in 1999's "Buena Vista Social Club" - Ibrahim Ferrer, Eliades Ochoa, Ruben Gonzalez, and Compay Segundo - which is the only one who is still living as of this writing?