We were in high school now, counting hostage days and worrying that Ronald Reagan was too old to run the country, and most of us were big into arena rock bands like Styx, Journey, and REO Speedwagon. Or maybe we liked new wave, or country, or "lite" artists. It wasn't cool to listen to disco anymore, so the best of those artists went off into other directions while others just faded away. We thought the year would be remembered best for a few minor passings - that is, until December. And maybe at the time we didn't understand fully why our parents and older friends were so sad - but in time, we would.
1. What happened on December 8, 1980?
2. This Pink Floyd album was Number One on the U.S. album charts for all of February, March, and April 1980.
3. His 1980 hits included "Ride Like The Wind" and "Sailing."
4. Olivia Newton-John and Electric Light Orchestra collaborated on the soundtrack to what movie in 1980?
5. Paul McCartney's "Coming Up" was recorded live in what city?
6. You could call her "Dirrty," a "Genie in a Bottle" or "Beautiful," and she was born on December 18, 1980.
7. Blondie's Number One hit "Call Me" was from the soundtrack of what movie?
8. Mick Jagger sang almost all of this Rolling Stones hit in falsetto, and it made the Top Ten in August 1980.
9. This song, by a Becky's Island band which was not done in that band's usual style, was the first Number One song of the 80s.
10. AC-DC released "Back in Black" in October 1980. To whom was this album dedicated?
11. He sang about "Cars" but he wasn't a member of The Cars. Who was he?
12. This Akron, Ohio-based performance art group had its only US chart hit with "Whip It."
13. Drummer John Bonham died on September 25, 1980 (one day before I turned 15). What group was he a part of?
14. What Chicago album was released in 1980?
15. "Lost In Love" was the first big hit for this Australian duo.
16. His 1980 hits included "Coward of the County" and "Lady."
17. Aretha Franklin, James Brown, Cab Calloway, and John Lee Hooker were among the R&B greats who appeared in this movie from the summer of 1980.
Bonus: Queen's "Another One Bites the Dust" was unusual for that band in that it was missing something. What was it?
Super Bonus: What will be the consequences "if you don't eat your meat?"