School's starting up again all over the United States. A surprising number of musical groups got together at school; a more surprising number of musicians completed their college degrees before striking it big. Stay tuned this fall for our Big Ten quizzes - for now, see if you can identify the schools or the musicians in question.
1. What R&B was formed while all the members were students at Tuskegee University in Alabama?
2. Madonna won a dance scholarship to what university in her home state?
3. Quarry Bank Grammar School, Liverpool College of Art, and the Liverpool Institute are associated with what band?
4. Which country superstar of the '90s attended Oklahoma State University on a track scholarship?
5. He wasn't allowed to study his chosen instrument at the New York High School for the Performing Arts because banjo is not used in the orchestra. He's been pretty successful on it, though - who is he?
6. Mount Temple High School, in Dublin, was the meeting place for the members of what band?
7. Temple University, in Philadelphia, was the meeting place for the members of what duo?
8. This Southern band named themselves after a physical education teacher at their high school.
9. Which member of the Grateful Dead graduated from the College of San Mateo and later studied music composition at Mills College?
10. He dropped out of the London School of Economics to sing with a band - good training for managing the millions he later made. Who is he?
11. This band's guitarist/keyboardist has a master's in mechanical engineering from MIT. So why didn't he call it "Cambridge?"
12. He really was a "young teacher, the subject of schoolgirl fantasies" before joining up with The Police.
13. Which future member of the Eagles was a student at Kent State University during the shooting incident?
14. She found more success as a singer in San Francisco than she did as a student at the University of Texas in the '60s.
15. Who earned a degree in psychology from the University of Miami while moonlighting as a singer with the Miami Latin Boys?
16. The horn players of Chicago all attended which university?
17. Walter Becker's and Donald Fagen's "old school" is this college, located in Annandale-on-Hudson, New York. (Oh no, William and Mary won't do.)
Bonus: This British band boasted all four members with university degrees: the singer studied illustration and design, the drummer studied biology, the bassist studied electronics, and the guitarist has a doctorate in astronomy. What is the group?